Connecticut Total Loss Threshold

Connecticut-Auto-Total-Loss-Threshold-By-Law 🔗 (pdf)


State Connecticut
Rule Total Loss Formula (TLF)
Law C.G.S.A. § 38a-353

Connecticut Total Loss Threshold


B-256 REV. 1-2015

State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles On The Web At

Salvaged (Totaled) Vehicles

Insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a “total loss”, but they are subject to regulation by the State of Connecticut Insurance Department.

If your insurance company has determined that your vehicle is a “total loss’ or the word “Salvage” has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate this vehicle upon any road in Connecticut. Technically, the registration on this vehicle has been cancelled. You should have removed the plates from your vehicle.

The DMV is aware of the status of the vehicle, since your insurance company has sent us a copy of the title stamped “Salvage”.

The registration and plates on the salvaged vehicle can be transferred to another vehicle.

If you rebuild the salvaged vehicle (parts only; salvages cannot be rebuilt), you must re-title the vehicle.  The vehicle cannot, however, be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Salvage Inspection Locations:

Salvaged vehicles will be inspected in the following offices only: Hamden and Wethersfield. Wethersfield: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Hamden: Tuesday through Friday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Salvage/composite vehicles must be presented for inspection by 3 p.m., one hour prior to closing).

The DMV will charge an inspection fee of $88 for a regular salvage inspection. If the vehicle has never been registered in Connecticut, or if the vehicle is 10 years old or older, there is a $10 administrative fee  hich is paid at the time of registration. The owner (or person representing the owner) must purchase and complete the DMV inspection Report (Form B-269) and have the report form validated with the payment of $88 prior to presenting the vehicle for inspection. Please be sure to allow enough time to purchase the form prior to your inspection appointment time.

NOTE: A New York State salvage certificate (form MV907A) is not acceptable by the Connecticut DMV.

A private individual cannot drive or tow the salvaged vehicle to the DMV office. He can only bring it in on a flat-bed trailer or car carrier (i.e., no wheel of the vehicle may touch the ground). The vehicle can be driven/towed by a bona fide Dealer/Repairer employee with Dealer/Repair Plates only when the dealer is the owner of the vehicle. However, if it fails inspection, it must be towed away on a flatbed trailer.

The owner of a vehicle that has been declared “Salvage” cannot transfer ownership on an Application for Duplicate Title (form H-6B). The owner must first obtain a duplicate title from the Title Division which will bear the legend “Salvage.” The owner may then assign the reverse side of the duplicate title to the purchaser.

If the title is branded “Salvage Parts Only” or “Salvage Unrebuildable” or “Salvage Unrepairable” the vehicle cannot be registered or re-titled under any circumstances.

Once the vehicle passes the salvage inspection, you can re-register the vehicle with the old plates or obtain new plates. You will be issued a new title (without the “Salvage” stamp on it) with the words “Rebuilt” printed on it. Once the salvage inspection is performed, the inspection slip does not expire.

Required Documents for a Salvage Inspection to be Presented to the Inspector at Time of Inspection:

  1. SALVAGED VEHICLE REPAIR REPORT (form K-186) – Salvaged vehicles purchased from a dealer or repairer, or salvaged vehicles repaired following a settlement from an insurance company, must have a Salvaged Vehicle Repair Report (form K-186) completed and presented at  the time of vehicle inspection. When a vehicle that has had any major component part replaced  in accord with industry standards is presented for inspection, the following procedures is to be  followed.

Departmental requirements for invoices/titles/receipts of parts/panels shall apply. The certification  for repair of salvage vehicles will then be signed and submitted with the completed Salvage Vehicle Repair Report (form K-186).

  1. PHOTOGRAPHS – Clear photographs of the repaired/replacement areas of the vehicles are to be presented when inspected. The photographs must clearly show:
  2. The entire vehicle by four photos, one for each vehicle corner i.e. left front, right front, left rear, right rear.
  3. The damaged area(s) prior to repairs.
  4. The repaired areas with the new parts/panels installed prior to any seam sealing, painting, or rust proofing.
  5. How the new parts were attached (welding).
  6. The area prior to painting and corrosion proofing (if the area is no longer visible).

These photographs must be attached to a DMV Salvage Vehicle Repair Report (form K-186).  This form must be completed and signed by licensee.

  1. AIR BAG CERTIFICATION STATEMENT (form B-303) – If the vehicle is equipped with an air bag, a separate Air Bag Certification Statement (form B-303) will be required in all cases, completed by a franchise dealer/repairer or a certified air bag technician with proof of  certification. This is required for all salvage inspections regardless if the airbag was  deployed or not.
  2. INSURANCE ADJUSTER’S REPORT – A copy of the Insurance Adjuster’s Report must be presented at the time of inspection.
  3. RECEIPTS FOR MAJOR COMPONENT PARTS – Receipts are required for any major component parts that are replaced. Major component parts as defined in Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-149(a)(2) means one of the following parts of a motor vehicle: (A) The engine, (B) the transmission, (C) the right or left front fender, (D) the hood, (E) a door allowing entrance to or egress from the passenger compartment of the vehicle, (F) the front or rear bumper, (G) the right or left rear quarter panel, (H) the deck lid, tailgate or hatchback, (I) the trunk floor pan, (J) the cargo box of a pickup, (K) the frame, or if the vehicle has a unitized body, the supporting structure or structures which serve as the frame, (L) the cab of a truck, (M) the body of a passenger vehicle, or (N) any other part of a motor vehicle which the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles determines is comparable in design or function to any of the parts listed in subparagraphs (A) to (M), inclusive, of this subdivision.

The receipts (or legible photo copies of the receipts) shall clearly indicate the name and address of the source of the component parts and the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle from which the respective component parts were removed.

 NOTE: In a situation where a licensee’s vehicle has a questionable repair, the undercoating, sealer or parts may have to be removed at the request of the inspector.